Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait


If an American ever travels outside the states, which I hope they do, they will soon find out the fast paced lifestyle by the clock is pretty much just an American thing. Here in Honduras, nothing is ever sure in the future. The only that is definite is what is presently happening. Take Paul for instance. He has been invited over to our house for dinner twice and both times he failed to show up with no excuse or phone call. He also says to be ready for pick on futbol night at 6:15 p.m. sharp, but he does not show up until 7:00 p.m.. The administration at the school has been doing this as well. They tell us to be at the school at 7:00 a.m. and we end up sitting around for three hours before we actually meet with anyone. Once we do meet, they tell us that they do not know what grades we are teaching yet so we can go home. It sounds frustrating, but it is really not for some reason. We are getting kind of used to it. We find things to do with our time. The other night we went to the futbol game for the church team. We all had to pile in one car so I had to lay on top of everyone. We also played basketball at the school. It was supposed to be volley ball, but no one could find the ball so we ended up playing basketball. Karolie, a tall girl from Walla Walla, just happened to play on the other team so she creamed us. I mean literally. She toppled over Melissa and gave her a few scrapes then pushed over Briana and gave her a big pussing (hope I spelled that correctly) ouchy.
I scored a few points myself and managed to survive the game with only one gouge from another players nails.
Today, we actually found out what grades we are teaching finally. I am teaching first grade math, science, and Bible all in English and seventh grade Literature. We received our books and then started planning our classes because we start teaching August 31 which is Joe's 22nd birthday. I got him a three wolf moon shirt. If you know what that is then I pity you. I am very scared, however, of having the responsibility of having so many children depend on me for their education. If I fail, then they fail and I can not let that happen.
I am also discovering the reason behind ugly teacher shoes. The reason most of my teachers wore ugly shoes or sandals with socks is for comfort. Who knew? I thought it was just the wages or lack there of they received. Turns out that walking to school everyday while carrying heavy books and standing for long periods of time requires something comfortable on your feet. I look like a school teacher complete with the ugly shoes and that scares me more than having to teach.
At least I get to feel young at the futbol games. Oh Si Pappa!

No comments:

Post a Comment